This is a good week to get inspired by the “no doubt; we can do it” mentality of the Seattle Seahawks. This team continues to overcome adversity and accomplish the unexpected; and the beauty of it all is that no one person can, or will, take credit for the wins. It is a team effort all the way.
It starts at the top with the passion and positive motivation of Coach Pete Carroll. His vision is clearly communicated to the coaching staff and the team. Their willingness to embrace that vision and accomplish the mission is unwavering. They BELIEVE; and you can see how it permeates the entire team in every interview that they do:
The Seattle Seahawks have formed a unified coalition with a clearly defined mission where each division supports the others. Do you have that same vibe at your radio station? Is there an undeniable positive energy underlying everything that you do?
Granted, it is slightly easier for a Football team since the Superbowl is a very defined and measurable goal. However, there are steps you can take toward instilling that same passion and belief in your team:
- Define the station mission. Be specific in terms of the goals you have for serving the community, your listeners, your advertisers and your staff.
- Make sure that mission is easy to write, distribute and digest. Repeat the mission often and revisit it at least once per year.
- Set specific quarterly goals for Sales, Programming, the Business Office, even the receptionist. Make sure each Department clearly understands how their department impacts the success of the others.
- Practice, Practice, Practice! Meetings have been given a bad rap. It is important for people to spend time face to face; to share ideas and concerns. To develop solutions as a team.
- Set aside 30 minutes each month to review the “wins” in every department. Encourage all department heads to give public acknowledgement to staff members who assist not only their own department but their fellow teammates in other departments as well.